Friday, November 19, 2010

There's an "I" in Family??

I am pretty sure we have all heard the saying "There is no 'I' in team" but what about the saying "There should not be an 'I' in family" which I totally just made up. I am constantly fighting an internal battle with myself regarding family. Whether it is my family or Anthony's family, there is ALWAYS something. It ranges from someone being mad at us for doing something or someone being mad at us for not doing something.

The thing I have come to learn is that for some reason, there are family members who are more concerned with themselves (that is the I part) than anyone else. It is more about how are they going to benefit from something. There is always and excuse as to why they can not. There are times when people that are not even family get treated more like family than the real family does.

They are those who only call when they want something or want to gossip about something. They are the ones that get made because you have not called them but they do not realize that it works both ways. They are the ones who do not always have time for you but are quick to get made when you spend time with other family who really care.

I learned a couple of months ago I learned a hard lesson. I learned that sometimes you can not even depend on family, not matter how close. So, instead of being like the others and focusing on just the 'I' in family, I will focus on the whole word.

F - Fun
A - Always going to be your family
M - Mistakes are forgiven
I - Invest in time with one another
L - Love and Loyal
Y - Yours whenever you need them

What do you think of when you think of the word family?

No comments:

Post a Comment